Monday, March 21, 2016

Striped Log Cabins

Giving FAITH Circle another improv block of my own design was a gamble of course. Not because of their skill, which is perfectly lovely, but with improv there's so many variables. And in a bee, even more so, as everyone tries to match the vision of the bee mama while create with fabrics and interpretations all their own. But seriously, my circle had done so well with X Marks the Improv that I couldn't resist. And I think together, we've come up with another winner.










Each member was asked to made two 12 1/2" Striped Quarter Log Cabin blocks with all solids, light to medium gray, white, sky blue, and lime green. Though the orientation of the stripes was not specified beforehand, once I started receiving blocks and placing them on my design wall, I chose the above layout, which resulted in my needing to make just a few extra blocks, bringing the finished quilt to 48" x 72".

Backing is a blue and white houndstooth, Rose Cliff Manor for Riley Blake; binding a light gray from Clothworks AMB Solids collection.



The weather (and pending forecast) didn't allow for a very creative photo-shoot this time,
and unfortunately you can't see the quilting well either. I used Aurifil 50wt #2021 (Natural White) and did a straight-line echo like in the design below, with lines 1 1/2" apart. Forgive my amateur drawing which certainly isn't to scale, but at least you get the idea. 


I'm really pleased to have given the Striped Log Cabin block a go, and will be labeling and donating this quilt soon.



Linking up to Finish It Up Friday.

13 comments:

  1. What a great team effort. You pulled all of the blocks together as though one person made them all. Wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The finish is really lovely; it is hard to imagine the quilt was made by a bee and many different people - it came together so cohesively!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so cohesive I never would have thought it was a bee quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am feeling like a bit of a dunce right now... but I don't see the log cabins? It is gorgeous though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really good, Debbie! Strip blocks show well the beautiful solid colours! Simple but busy enough to look exciting! x Teje
    www.nerospostbox.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of the improv blocks work perfectly together in this quilt - really love the solid colours too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, man, where was this last Friday when I thought "I should quilt my NICU quilt like Debbie does with a cool line pattern" but then ended up just crosshatching? This would have been perfect! And the overall quilt looks great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blocks all look great together (like they were make by one person) And thank you for sharing your quilting path, saving that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great colours ~ sure looks like one hand created this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So refreshing and your quilting looks like just the right design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with everyone...the quilt does look like one person made it. The colors are beautifully matched and the design is so well put-together. Impressive finish!

    ReplyDelete