Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas Postscript {one}

When I saw Svetlana's Christmas patchwork table runner, I wanted to make one for myself!
photo permission by s.o.t.a.k handmade

But being handmade gifts was high on my priority list at the time, I instead sewed one up for a friend.
I had a charm pack of cloud9 Cut Out & Keep that I had been hanging onto for reasons unknown, and I'm so glad I brought it out for this project. It went so nice with the flax-colored Essex I used, and of course, I always love how that Essex quilts up! I followed Svetlana's lead, doing straight-line quilting and used one of my newer favorite Aurifil 50wt threads - #2326. It's called 'tan' but seriously has a bit of a gold tone, and has gone so nicely with several of my recent makes.

Since there was no matching yardage in my stash for the binding, I went with the charcoal stripe from the awesome new Botanics collection. And I think it finished it off just fine. With the Essex and organic prints, the texture of this runner is just lovely.
Finished size: 15 3/4" x 41"

Svetlana's tutorial was a joy to follow, and being so pleased with my first finish, I went on to make another.
For the second one, I used a light and creamy Essex, along with a mini charm pack of V and co.'s Simply Color. Where the original runner used 2" squares for the patchwork, I went ahead and used the 2 1/2" mini charms as cut, and adjusted the sizes of the other fabric pieces as needed. This resulted in a slightly larger runner, about 20"x46". (The sashing between blocks was cut at 2 1/2" wide, the side borders 3 1/2", and the ends 4 1/2".) Again I straight-line quilted, this time using my stand-by Aurifil 50wt #2000 (beige) and there it is again - the most texture indeed. Backed and bound with Notting Hill, it's similar yet different from the original, and just goes to show where inspiration can take you.

And guess what? Santa left a mini charm pack of Moda's Blitzen in my stocking, so guess who's ordering up some more linen and may just make a Christmas patchwork table runner for herself after all?

18 comments:

  1. Love your runners - can't wait to see your Christmas one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those runners are so pretty! I promised my sister one for her table, so as soon as she tells me what colors she wants/needs I will make that for her. I'll use Svetlana's tutorial too, it looks like a good one.
    I linked to you through my blog...I started my Tula Pink's City Sampler blocks. I am so excited! I've done two! YAY! Stop by and see them if you get a chance! (I'm @ http://stitchintime-claudia.blogspot.com/) Thanks to you, I have been having some FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Debbie! I need to make one of those. They are so pretty. Can't wait to see the Christmas runner. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect, Debbie. Both of these runners are wonderful. So looking forward to seeing your Christmas one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I have visions of tables running all over the place round your way (possibly a little too much brandy butter...) They look lovely though :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so pretty! i just might have to make a couple myself

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very NICE all! I may need to include that project in my list of upcoming projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I love the quilting.
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you are making one for you too. I have some mini charm packs, Maybe I should make one too, we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great, I had pinned Svetlana's table runner myself although haven't yet managed to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So simple yet so elegant! I love these!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love them both, but the first one is so nice. Wish I was a friend of your's on the receiving end. Can't wait to see the Christmas one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These both turned out lovely! Off to look at that tutorial right now ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea to use the time-saving mini charms on this wonderful runner!On to my list it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful runners Debbie! Such a great way to use the mini charm packs too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love 'em!! You deserve at least one:))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those runners are lovely! Glad you are getting to make one for yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete